AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to exclude pages containing page_id=

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Could some kind person please tell me how to set up a GA fIlter to exclude future hits (from me and my web developer) on my test pages, ie all those containing -

page_id=

preview=true

preview_id=

Many thanks for any advice.

Eamonn McGreevy

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can only see these pages while you are logged in so I'd suggest to use a plugin that has an option to exclude your own visits like this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wk-google-analytics/

It is always better to prevent sending unwanted data from the website than filtering it out in GA.

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Great advice from Arnold!

Another way is to use an extension called Ghostery. You can use this tool to prevent sending hits to GA from your specific website. I guess, you actually don't want to see your own visits at all.

Cheers,

Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Arnold,

Good plan and advice. If my web developer is working on my WordPress from his computer , will his visits be excluded also?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Kalvi,

Is the Ghostery extension similar to Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google) -and if so, is one better than the other?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Eamonn, with Google Analytics Opt-out, it's not possible to prevent sending hits to GA from a specific website but with Ghostery it's possible. I love GA as a tool and I don't want to prevent data being sent to all GA accounts (that's not my goal) so I usually prefer using Ghostery and block GA (and HotJar, Kissmetrics, Mixpanel, VWO, Optimizely, Facebook tags, Heap etc) only if I visit my own site. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Many thanks again Taavi.

But how do I setup Ghostery to "block GA only if I visit my own site"?

If I block GA and visit other sites, won't my visits to those sites be blocked also?

Cheers, Eamonn

Re: How to exclude pages containing page_id=

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

You'll need to sign up and then go and find "Restricted Sites". Add your website and press Enter. That's it. Now if you go and visit your site and click on the Ghostery extension. Do you see that GA is blocked? Smiley Happy

Here you'll see my personal settings:

block.png

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That's great Taavi, thanks so much.

Eamonn