AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to define a segment that shows all sessions including articles from a specific section

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey folks,

I would like to define a segment for the following question: How many sessions are there that retrieved an article from a specific section of our website anywhere in a session.

E.g. I would like to see all sessions that retrieved an article from "section1" with the following URL-structure www.mywebsite.com/section1/article_123.html.

Is it sufficient to build a segment with the filter "session" and  the condition "page" with the regex section1?

The reason I am asking this is due to the handling of pages and sessions within GA, where a session for a page is only counted if that page is the first page within that session. I am, however, looking for sessions with certain pages anywhere in the session.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best

Lasse

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lasse T
July 2017

How to define a segment that shows all sessions including articles from a specific section

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Lasse,

I would not expect the custom report to be any different if you are filtering for page and you have metrics that would make sense.  

So in the segment, you would have both sessions and if you looked at the content reports you would see both the a and the b pages and any other pages that were touched (if any) and in a custom report you should see that there were multiple pageviews based upon the filter.

Are you seeing something different?  If you are it's probably due to a mix of dimensions and metrics that are incompatible.

You may have noticed that GA does not offer the "Edit" button (to create custom reports) from content reports.  This is because it's so easy to pull in dimensions and metrics that are incompatible.  E.G. there are three levels of dimensions Hit, Session and User and they should not be mixed. 

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Lasse,

You are getting pages and landing pages mixed up.  Just build the segment just as you laid out:

sessions >>page>> regexp (or contains or begins with)  >>  /section1

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

thats what I did. Question is if sessions on page level are counted different from custom reports. Consider the following scenario.

Session 1: page a, page b

Session 2: page b, page a

A custom report filtered for page a would give 1 session. I assume the segment filtered for page a would give 2 sessions.

Is this right?

All the best

Lasse

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lasse T
July 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Lasse,

I would not expect the custom report to be any different if you are filtering for page and you have metrics that would make sense.  

So in the segment, you would have both sessions and if you looked at the content reports you would see both the a and the b pages and any other pages that were touched (if any) and in a custom report you should see that there were multiple pageviews based upon the filter.

Are you seeing something different?  If you are it's probably due to a mix of dimensions and metrics that are incompatible.

You may have noticed that GA does not offer the "Edit" button (to create custom reports) from content reports.  This is because it's so easy to pull in dimensions and metrics that are incompatible.  E.G. there are three levels of dimensions Hit, Session and User and they should not be mixed. 

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

I did check in some more depth and the data I am getting seems alright. I just did not come up with the right reports to varify my assumption.

What I did was defining a custom report with the same filter (on page level) as the segment showing sesssions, users and entries. For the custom report sessions and entries are the same, since only pages receive sessions that are landing pages. I then applied the segment to all my audience report. While users are the same for both reports, sessions are somewhat higher for the second report. The difference exactly fits the number of sessions with a landing page not fitting the filter I set before.

Thanks for getting me on the right path :-).

all the best
Lasse

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

No worries and glad that you found what you needed!

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn