Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to create View filter based on Landing page?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to create a new View that only includes traffic that lands (i.e. session starts) on specific landing pages. How would I configure this View filter? Is it the "Request URI" field? It's not clear if this filters for any pageview or only landing pages.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You might do better to create a custom segment with a sequence

More info on this here.. definitely worth the reading time
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/04/04/sequence-segments-more-accurate-reporting/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, although I need this to be a View filter and not a custom segment, since I want to avoid sampling. This is a high traffic property with two very different types of traffic. In essence, I want to create a View that only includes traffic landing on specific paths.

Is this possible?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

request uri filters for page url.. it doesnt specifically filter landing pages.. 
If you have specific pages in mind you could filter to include just those particular request uri's and then maybe apply a sequence segment for those that the session starts on one of those particular pages as opposed to being a pageview anywhere else within their session.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Note that for non-Google Analytics 360 accounts, sampling is triggered from the number of sessions in the Property, not in a View. While the base reports would be unsampled, if you use a segment on that new view, it will be sampled as if it was in an unfiltered view.

As Bronwyn stated, it is not possible to create a landing page filter for a view because the filter works at the hit level, not at the session level. Only segments work that way.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mike and Bronwyn, thanks for the insight.

So say I create a View filter that includes Request URI matching regex ^/some_path/(.+): Does this mean that only the hits that match this pattern will be in the view?

For example, if Session A has Hit 1 matching pattern, Hit 2 not matching pattern and Hit 3 matching pattern, I would only see hits 1 and 3 in this filtered View, in essence giving me an incomplete session. Since Hit 2 would be tossed out.

If this is the case, then this wouldn't work for me and it looks like the only solution is Custom Segments, because I want to preserve entire sessions, just filtered by a specific landing path.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That is correct,

with a filter, you would only see the hits for hit 1 and 3.. hit 2 would be tossed out if it did not match the regex pattern for request uri.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ralph. "Request URI" filter will include all pageviews of that url. Anyway, if you go to landing page report you will only see that landing page.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, thanks again for all of your replies. I'll probably end up using Custom Segments for this use case, since ultimately I need to look at complete sessions. It would definitely be nice if GA had View filters that were applied with session and user scopes, but that would probably mean processing at a different point in the pipeline (post sessionization).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is kind of old.  Could you use GTM, and then choose to fire a specific GA tracking ID when the landing page is one of the or not one of the list of landing pages you want to track?