AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How to Segment Subscriber Log-In Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our website has two main goals: generate leads, and provide log-in access for existing clients to use our application.

One view is filtered to exclude in-house traffic and subscriber log-in traffic. However, accuracy is problematic as log-ins through the main website to the log-in page are not being excluded, resulting in unreliable data on non-logged-in activity.  I need to eliminate or segment subscriber log-in sessions so that we can focus on the data that informs about our lead generation.

I'm not sure how to do this.  Would anyone be able to help?

Thank you. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Segment Subscriber Log-In Sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ryan,

You could simply create a segment to exclude any sessions that contain the log-in page. It would catch some visitors that accidentally find their way to this page, but it would be close.

ss exclude pages segmenst.png

Alternatively, it would be pretty straight forward to set a custom dimension on the user level for the log-in welcome page. That way you could have a simple segment to exclude any user that is a customer. Their are many levels of complexity here that you would want to consider including, perhaps, another custom dimension that stored the date that a visitor became a customer. This would be helpful as you hope that leads become customers and there would be some crossover.

More on custom dimensions here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo,

I'm trying to do something that I think is similar.  I want to see how many sessions are ending by exit via a specific page.  So I made a copy of the segment I use to see all sessions and only added the filter indicated below.  After doing this, when I compare session counts across the two segments, the one that excludes sessions that exit via the given page is higher than the total.  Clearly something is not working as I expected.

New FIlter.jpg

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Ryan,

I can't see all of your segment so it's hard for me to comment. That said, in the second part it looks like you are really looking for bouncing direct traffic that exits from your support subdomain and maybe could be cleaner (session duration 0, page depth less than 1). Do you have an advanced filter to prepend the hostname to your Request URI? If not I would expect that your results would be odd. Also concerning is that keynote (if website monitoring) is not already blocked via filter (unless this is a raw data view).

Is there a reason that you cant look at the content reports and filter for these pages? If you need to, you could add in the hostname as a secondary dimension and use an advanced filter on the report.

Also, if you are seeing sampling, this could explain why there might be differences in your segmented vs aggregated data counts.

At the end of the day, the easiest way to do this is probably dropping a custom dimension or two on login welcom page for customers.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn