Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How long does it take for Google to apply advanced filters setup in Google Analytics?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Forum,

I am doing an audit at the moment of a GA account and trying to correctly associate traffic to the right source from referrals.

There is a lot of referrals from different email sources that should go email. Also a large number of search engines that should be under organic.

I've applied the regex and setup the filters as mentioned in many blogs and posts here. I am not yet seeing these changes take affect to know if I have set this up correctly and can move on.

How long does it take for this changes to take effect? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benjamin R
May

How long does it take for Google to apply advanced filters setup in Google Analytics?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Usually the changes take affect from the time they are applied but the results often wont start to become apparent in the reports for 12-24hrs as the newer traffic passes thru the filters and that data is processed into the reports.

also bare in mind, filters do not change historical data already collected in reports.. they only change data going forward.

Did you create a test view to test the affect of the filters before applying them to a main reporting view (helps prevent against data loss should a filter not work as expected in some way)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Browyn,

I had incorrectly thought it possible to have updated the historic data