Analytics
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How does GA deal with traffic from staging/developing area?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all! The team I'm part of is developing a website in wordpress. We're using WP Engine as hosting provider which allows us to have a staging area for developing our site along the current version is live. My question is: since the website on the staging area is a copy of of the live one, it has the same tracking code. How doeas it affect the GA data for my live site? Should I filter the traffic from the staging area out? and if yes, should I apply the filter even in the unfiltered view?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefano B
January 2016

Re: How does GA deal with traffic from staging/developing area?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

Yes, Staging/Dev hits will definitely inflate the metrics in GA. You need to apply filter to include only traffic from LIVE environment. For this create include filter based on the LIVE domain/host name and apply to main profile/LIVE profile.

No need to apply this filter to Unfiltered view, you need to use this for testing purpose.

Hope this helps..

Sam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sam,
Thank you very much for your answer. I shortly follow your answer...
When you write: "No need to apply this filter to Unfiltered view, you need to use this for testing purpose.", are you suggesting to test directly on the Unfiltered view?
As Google recommends (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2649553) I've created 3 view: a master view, a test view, and a unfiltered view. Accordingly to this configuration, I get the reports from the master view, I test new features in the test one and i keep the unfiltered view clear from anything as backup for all the data. It seems to be a correct approach, isn't it?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

You can use the unfiltered view for testing with advanced segment feature because of the limitation of the number of views per GA account, 25. If you feel 25 is more then you can maintain separate view for testing.

Sam