Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How do I filter out traffic going to the login domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to filter out traffic going to the login domain on a website. What's happening is people go to the website homepage, then click the login link which takes them to a new domain just meant for logging in. I want to exclude this login traffic.

Do you know how to do this?

I've thought of creating a filter that excludes the login domain hostname and also creating a segment that excluding clicks on the login button as a goal, but I'm not entirely sure these will work.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: How do I filter out traffic going to the login domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Erika,

A filter will work for you in this case. You'll want to create an exclude filter using a regex on part of the URL string that contains the login string, whether you use login.domain.com or domain.com/login, adjust your filter to use hostname if you're using a subdomain or subdirectory if you're using /login.

Re: How do I filter out traffic going to the login domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response! I want to be sure I get this right. So I have domain.com and domainlogin.io, and I want to exclude all traffic that goes to the domainlogin.io from the domain.com analytics data. I should have mentioned earlier that the two have different top level domains. Sorry about that!

So your answer will still work, right? Since I'm still new to regex, I would set the exclude filter pattern to domainlogin\.io

Thanks for all your help!