Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How do I filter out based on client id?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use dynamic IP so filtering out my own IP is kinda a pain. I messed up with User Explorer and found out my client id. How do I exclude myself based on client id?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I filter out based on client id?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello to you too.
You can't exclude based on client id, sorry
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

If you really can't exclude your own traffic based on IP, an alternative is to use utm tracking when visiting your site and then exclude the traffic based on its value.

www.yourdomain.com?utm_source=internaltraffic&utm_medium=myname&utm_campaign=ongoing

For the above URL, you can create an exclude filter and use Campaign Source with the value internaltraffic to exclude your own traffic.

Note that this solution works provided you always utm track your visits.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This has fairly limited scope and reliability i'm afraid Smiley Sad
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
True. An option, nevertheless.

Regex could potentially be an option for dynamic IP exclusion.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So all my GA data is polluted with my own web-development activities for my web site. 

That's a real shame.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

There are a few ways you can block yourself from being tracked.

- Use your browser preferences to block cookies for your site;

- use a tool such as ublock or adblock to block the analytics script;

- use chrome browser addon DaVinci Tools which will allow you to block your own visits from within the GA interface, no filter setup required;

- setup a custom dimension at the user scope level, create a page that only you can access together with the tracking code and the custom dimension and then filter out your visits using the custom dimension value (you will need to remember to visit this page each time you clear your cookies to reset it and also will need to visit it on each device that you use to access the site)

- use the analytics browser opt out.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, thanks for these options.

I applied two filters yesterday and I’m waiting for GA to update to see if they work.

1 filter to exclude my IPv4 address

1 filter to exclude my IPv6 address

I notice that I am still showing up in the “Real Time” part of GA. I don’t have much confidence in the efficiency of these two filters

In your opinion, should these work?

I will try DaVinci Tools if my filters don't work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK. Conclusion:

IP filters have no effect. They don't work

The DaVinci chrome extension does work --> problem solved for all data I collect from here on.

Wish I implemented this solution as soon as I started GA data collection because my historic data is still polluted.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Ip filters should usually work, they wont work as expected though if tracking code on the website is configured to anonymize ip

If you go to google search and type in the query what is my ip

Is it the same IP addy you had added to at least one of the filters?

(also it can sometimes take up to 2hrs for real time reporting to reflect changes 

in configuration such as filters)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here