Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How can I use URL Parameters that are not UTM parameters to populate campaign data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Years ago there was a way that you could use filters to take non-UTM URL parameters and push them into the appropriate campaign data inside of Google Analytics, but for the life of me I can't find an article on doing this. I don't think I am using the right search queries.

Here is an example of what I mean.

Example URL: www.foobar.com/stuff?camp=Healthy-Food&ad=Just-Say-No&kw=twinkies&src=google&method=cpc

So I want to tell Google Analytics that any session that starts with these parameters should then take these and assign them to the appropriate UTM Paramerter.

I know I could always go double tag these things, but let's assume that isn't an option.

Does anyone know how you can do this? Also what problems might this cause in your data?

Re: How can I use URL Parameters that are not UTM parameters to populate campaign data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You could try using the "Search and Replace" filter at the view level. Definitely use a test view first though.

You could also set up your Channel groupings to read the parameters the way you want, but I think that would only apply to the various channel reports and wouldn't be visible as a source/medium.