Analytics
6.6K members online now
6.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

How can I filter out individuals from data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can I exclude my team from the data at the admin level, so we don't show in any data or reports?  It seems that I can only filter out customer user ID's in the individual Widget level only the report is included in a dashboard.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Couple of different methods, which have varying levels of reliability.

- remove team by IP address. This works well when people are logging on from work, for example, but not so well when team members use the site when at home or on the move. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en 

- remove team by the presence of a custom dimension. You'll need to set a custom dimension on each team members browser/device - this can be done by encouraging team members to visit a secret, unlisted, page on your site which sets a custom dimension (called something like 'internalStaff' on their cookie). You can then filter on this custom dimension either by excluding or including. Dependent on how many people visit the site, this can be pretty reliable.

- encourage staff to use a browser extension which stops GA from working. Not a big fan of this as it can be pain for the staff as well as meaning you lose data.

These methods, and more, can be found described here: http://www.daniloaz.com/en/5-ways-to-exclude-your-own-visits-from-google-analytics/ (many similar posts out on the web....)

Filters based on the above can then be set on a view so team data is not present. Remember to maintain an unfiltered view. Having a view which only includes staff is also useful to see how team members use the website. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I meant to say 'Dependent on how many people visit the page' - i.e. the more staff you get to visit the page, the more reliable the custom dimension method is. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.