AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Hostname filters: Values don't add up to 100%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hallo,

we have 2 top level domains (for 2 countries) that share the same webspace. (That is double content, I know.) We would like to gather data on how many visitors use domain 1 or domain 2. Cross domain tracking is not necessary, as far as I understand. So, we have the standard tracking code on all our pages. However, we would like to see the data for both domains seperately. I created 2 custom segments and added a filter. Segment 1: Hostname contains domain.de; Segment 2: Hostname contains domain.at. This works quite ok. However, sessions, for example, don't add up to 100%. Both hostname 1 and hostname 2 add up to, say, 90%. What's the 10%? 

Thank you!  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Hostname filters: Values don't add up to 100%

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Moses,

some simple causes for this may be:
1. Sampling - if you have a high traffic site or use a long time span segments using segments may additionally cause sampling (though 10% is a bit too high)
2. Some additional hostnames are collected in the account - so go to Audience > Technology > and choose hostnames as primary dimension so you can check which hostnames were collected in the defined time range

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net