Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Hostname filters: Values don't add up to 100%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hallo,

we have 2 top level domains (for 2 countries) that share the same webspace. (That is double content, I know.) We would like to gather data on how many visitors use domain 1 or domain 2. Cross domain tracking is not necessary, as far as I understand. So, we have the standard tracking code on all our pages. However, we would like to see the data for both domains seperately. I created 2 custom segments and added a filter. Segment 1: Hostname contains domain.de; Segment 2: Hostname contains domain.at. This works quite ok. However, sessions, for example, don't add up to 100%. Both hostname 1 and hostname 2 add up to, say, 90%. What's the 10%? 

Thank you!  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Hostname filters: Values don't add up to 100%

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Moses,

some simple causes for this may be:
1. Sampling - if you have a high traffic site or use a long time span segments using segments may additionally cause sampling (though 10% is a bit too high)
2. Some additional hostnames are collected in the account - so go to Audience > Technology > and choose hostnames as primary dimension so you can check which hostnames were collected in the defined time range

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net