Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Hostname Filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to understand a bit more about filters within a view.

So basically I learned that to include a Hostname in a view. For example I have a website wwww.example.com and if you click on a tab called spa it redirects to a second domain wwww.fakespawellness.com I created two views one for Example and one for Fake Spa Wellness.

Under Fake Spa Wellness view I included wwww.fakespawellness.com and under Example View I excluded w

ww.fakespawellness.com.

The way I did it was like Picture 1; however later I saw online set up like picture 2. I wanted to know if there is a difference between them and which one is better?

Picture One.pngPicture Two.png

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Hostname Filter

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Eva

I am not able to see your pictures, maybe you can describe them?

From what you are saying i would make filters for the views as follows:

Example view: include www.example.com

Fake Spa Wellness view: include fakespawellness.com

Regards
Jonas

Re: Hostname Filter

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Eva,

No image unfortunately.  @Jonas Ø gave you good advice for each.  I want to add that you should also have an unfiltered view to which no filters are applied, a testing view where you test new filters (filters are destructive) and, perhaps, a view that includes both domains directly with a hostname filter that includes both.  The pattern for such a filter would be:

example\.com|fakespawellness\.com 

You may also want to consider cross domain tracking to preserve your referrer or at the very least, add each domain to the Referral Exclusion list in Admin>Property >> Tracking Info

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn