Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Help Creating Views!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good afternoon community. 

I have a client of which we need to create views for...

The brief is to create a view for each location of the business. Each separate business has their own section of the site e.g www.example.com/london or www.example.com/manchester each view should just isolate data related to their business and not the main site or any other business location. 

The Challenge

Each business shares the same "Shop" and this is on the main website. So for example

1) I land on www.example.com/london

2) On the website I click on the product category "Lease Cars" and I get taken to www.example.com/london/leasecars

3) I click on the car I like and would like to get more details, but I then get taken to www.example.com/leasecars/123456

I intend to create a filter and my logic to create this was. Filter type > Predefined > Include Only > Traffic to the subdirectories . Contain /London

The issue is this would then filter out the last and most vital pages. If include "/leasecars" I will get traffic from other business areas not related to London

My initial thought is to recommend changing the URL structure of the website, although don't expect this to be an easy task. 

If there anything I can do In GTM to append the location to the end of the URL, is there any way I could use the landing page as the filter and then that can track any page view from that point onward or does anyone have a suggestion to how I could best implement these filter. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Help Creating Views!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can anyone in the community help? Smiley Sad

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olufunmi S
July

Help Creating Views!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi there and happy Friday!

There are a few ways you can easily do this in GTM.   My recommendation is to set a custom dimension for each location, that way once it's set, you'll use that as a filter for your views.  

This has some pitfalls if someone looks at more than one location, you'll have to decide how you want to handle that... 

Or you could rewrite each pageview with the appropriate location.  Either way you'll probably want to use a cookie for this.  Howard Stern may be the self proclaimed "king of all media" but I proclaim Simo Ahava to be the king of all things GTM; see his work here for help:

https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/two-ways-to-persist-data-via-google-tag-manager/

Remember if you go the custom dimension route you'll need to create your filter from the view tree and not the account tree... (I have no idea why they chose this way!).

More on custom dimensions:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Help Creating Views!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you

I think I'm going to go down the Custom Dimension route