Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Google Changing Filter View

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did Google change the view in Filters? I add filters to block known spam referrals by setting up a custom filter using the path Exclude > Referral > then input my compiled regex. I've been logging in and noticing it looks a lot differently now, it's asking me to choose from available filters (as if i have limited control of the account - I have full rights to it by the way)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Changing Filter View

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Robert,

I came across with this situation a couple of time in the last couple of weeks, either GA is changing the filter window or it's a bug (or both). I'm inclined more to the second since when you try to select the custom filter you get the options from the predefined filter.

Alternatively, you can create the filters at account level (first column in the admin panel) I've noticed that the filter window is displaying correctly there.

Just as a note if you are filtering referrals, use "Campaign Source" as filter field instead of "referral", or better yet create a filter that will only allow traffic from your valid hostnames that way you will get rid of all ghost spam at once and you won't need to create/update filters every time you see a new spammer.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Re: Google Changing Filter View

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your workaround to create filters at the account level has worked for me, but I did notice that Custom Dimensions are missing as one of the options, and you still cannot edit the filter after you have created it. I hope Google is able to clear up the bug soon.