Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Unique User Count

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am tracking a specific webpage and it's unique user count. Today when I logged on, I noticed that our count has dropped by 300 users. In fact, all of our historical data has undergone this significant change. I need to know why or how this happened and if its correct or not. Additionally, the slider for 'Greater Precision' is gone. I have no idea how I can increase precision.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Quinn,

Historical data is not reprocessed.  I suspect you have the new UI version which has, by default, a shorter date range (7 instead of 30).   If not, you may have a segment applied.

The sampling slider is being phased out in favor of a toggle.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same exact date range (Oct 11 -Present) with the exact same segment. I have been writing down the daily numbers since early October and there is a sudden 300 user drop. Something is going on and I don't understand. I have screenshots that prove what I am talking about.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Quinn,

If you have a segment applied and your date range is so wide, you may have at some point crossed the sampling threshold  (which, based on your comment about the slider, I infer to be true) which COULD be problematic. 

If you need daily numbers, you may want to just pull one day at a time to help avoid sampling.  It's hard to offer anything more specific without knowing your use case, etc.  You can be sure that Google has not reprocessed your data.

That said, is it possible that someone applied a filter to the view recently?

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo, sampling may be the issue, though I'm not sure how it would impact older data.

Let me clarify the use case here:

I am trying to report on the number of unique users from a date range using a custom segment.

The segment definition has not changed. However, after a few months of collecting data, the number of unique users has suddenly dropped dramatically, even affecting earlier numbers. For instance, I could see Oct to Jan numbers as X, now I'm seeing Oct to Jan numbers as Y.

Again, this is using a custom segment applied the same way throughout the past few months. 

Does that make sense?

Thanks again

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Quinn,

As sessions increase your sample size will decrease as a percentage of the whole.  Sampling is also User based so if a user with a large number of session was to drop out of the sample it would have a large impact.  

If you're only running your numbers by the month (or day) then just apply your segment to a month (or day) at a time.  If you're under a half million sessions, you should get all your data (in most reports).

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn