Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Filters but no data

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For one Property we have multiple Views and we added Filters to exclude our internal traffic.

However, we found that apparently the IP adresses we added to the filters are not excluding the right data, as we still seems to be collecting our own traffic.

So we tried adding a new view that included other IP adresses, namely the one mentioned in relation to the Wi-Fi.

Yet, this has led to no traffic coming in at all for this view, but the set-up for the View seems correct.

What is going wrong here?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Do not use the wifi addresses - they may be behind a firewall/router (typical 192.168.x.x).

Search on Google for 'what is my ip' to see what Google sees as your external IP.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. However, we have a View that excludes that external IP. Yet, that traffic still finds its way into our data. So it does not seem to work. Which is unfortunate. Any ideas on that?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If the filter doesn't work, then the question is whether the filter is set incorrectly. Exactly how is the filter defined?  The default Exclude from IP is not a Regular Expression filter -- it can do full (equals) or partial match (contains) only and does not recognize wildcard characters of require backslashes to 'escape' the dots.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The filter is defined as follows:

Predefined filter

Exclude --> traffic from IP --> equal to

and then the IP

Seems about right.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

When you enter the IP address, it should look something like ###.###.###.###  (if it is an IPv4 address) with no other characters at all, right -- just digits and decimal points?  You could also try to exclude your IPv6 address -- go to http://www.whatismyipv6.com/ to see if your computer/browser uses that instead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, the IP is only digits and points in between. Nothing else.

It appears there is no ipv6, only the external IP (IPv4 if I'm correct). And yet Google Analytics still tracks my traffic.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Eva H,

Could you please check if you have a dynamic IP address?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have checked whether it is a dynamic IP address and it appears that it is not. Therefore, I find it strange to see traffic that could only come from my colleagues or myself.