Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I need your help please.

I am new to Google Analytics, and have been trying and struggling to see how campaigns work.

I watched my videos and followed the same steps but i still cannot see the campaign.

From what i understood, if I add to my url the parameters: utm_term, utm_content, utm_campaign

then in the Acquisition => campaigns => All campaigns section i should be able to see the stats when people365 access my link.

I added the url parameters but still cannot see the campaign in the campaigns section.

What am I missing?

Thank you Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mira,

You always need to send campaign source, medium and name/campaign. The format should look like:
exampledomain.com/?utm_source=example&utm_medium=example&utm_campaign=example

The easiest way to make sure the links you create are accurate is to use the Google URL builder:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Hope this helps!
JD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply.

Is it enough to *only* send campaign source, medium and name/campaign to be
able to track it in the All campaigns section?

Does the same apply to a pdf link like:
http://www.exampledomain.com/Company-Profile-April-7-2016-Pages-low-2.pdf
?utm_source=example&utm_medium=example&utm_campaign=example

Thnks again,
Mira BA

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mira

utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign are the only mandatory parameters to be able to track it in All campaigns but you can add other parameters such as utm_content, utm_term if you want but they aren't mandatory. It doesn't work on PDFs because PDF page isn't html and don't have the GA tracking code on it to capture the GA UTM campaign tracking parameters.