Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Bot crawling

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day

My website uses Google Analytics (GA) to track the usual information (page views, sessions, bounce rates, etc.). The problem is that this data is immensely skewed by bots. I have ticked the checkbox which GA provides to "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders" but this is not doing the job. There are hundreds of bots skewing my GA data. I have tried creating filters to exclude these bots by hostname and ISP but the Filter Pattern textbox only allows 255 characters. As you can imagine, this does not allow for me to enter hundreds of names in one filter, and it seems quite inefficient to create multiple filters just to do the same thing over and over. Is there any way I can filter out such a large number bots (around 300 to 400 bots) more efficiently? How can I do this? I have tried the following articles:

Thank you very much for your assistance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dillon E
January 2016

Re: Google Analytics Bot crawling

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

You 'll likely need to setup quite a few filters (I have numerous filters in my accounts)

A hostname filter is definitely recommended.

For ease of setup of the rest of them, I recommend using the following free service
They can be used to create the initial filters and then update
https://referrerspamblocker.com/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much! This is an awesome tool Smiley Very Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're welcome :-)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here