Analytics
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Giving a referrer access to their data in our GA account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have a referrer sending traffic to us, and want to give them access in to our Google Analytics account to see the performance of their traffic, but we want to limit what they can see to JUST traffic originating from them.

My plan so far is to set up a view, filter it to just traffic referred from them, and then give them "Read & Analyse" access to that view.

Does this sound like the best way to do it, and how would I set up the filter?  Noting that they have two domain names that send traffic our way.

So far, I've tried the following, both of which result in zero data in the view.

Include, Filter Field "Campaign Source", pattern "site1.com | site2.com"

Include, Filter Field "Referral", pattern "site1.com | site2.com"

This seems to block ALL traffic from the view.  What am i doing wrong, or is there a better way to achieve this?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PINZ
January 2016

Re: Giving a referrer access to their data in our GA account

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there,

This should work if you apply the "Campaign Source" filter. However, you need to avoid spaces between site1.com and site2.com.
So "site1.com|site.com" as an include filter will do the work.

And yes, setting up a separate view, "read & analyse" access, is a proper way to do this. However, if you want to avoid creating lots of extra views, you can take a different path.

Two other options:

1) Build a custom report, where you segment on their traffic and other stats that are relevant to show. Automatically email the report once per week.

2) Do you know how to tie Google Analytics to Google Sheets? (it's free). You could get the desired data into Google Sheets (automatically) and build a table or graph that displays the data.
https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/google-analytics-spreadsheet-add-on?hl=en

Hope this helps you out,
Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Paul for your prompt response. I've updated the filter to remove those spaces and will give it some time for the data to flow in. I'll also look into doing a report instead, thank you for the tips! PS - I'll accept your response as the solution now as I'm sure either or both of those will do the trick.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Great and thanks.

You could also use real-time and replicate that you are visiting your site from one of these sites (by clicking on a link on the other website).

Otherwise you will find out later on!

Best,
Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You've obviously done this before . . . yep, you are spot on with the tip about real-time, I'm surprised I didn't think of that myself! Working well now, thanks again Paul.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Great to hear.

Oh yeah definitely, it's part of my daily job. ;-)

If you want to learn all about filters and regex:

http://online-metrics.com/google-analytics-filters/

http://online-metrics.com/regular-expressions/

Those guides could be really helpful if you want to learn more.