Analytics
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

GA reporting - preview URL pre-pended with website's default URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere on this forum so I'm hoping someone is able to help.

I'm tracking several sub-domains under the one property which works fine. I've got a few filters applied so that the entire URL including the hostname comes up in the reports. However, clicking on the preview link beside a URL under Behavior>Site Content seems to add the default website URL to the address.

So in property settings I have the default URL set to: www.example.com, and in the reporting interface I can see www.example.com/examplepage/ as well as subdomain.example.com. However, clicking on the preview link next to subdomain.example.com brings up a new browser window with the URL filled in www.example.comsubdomain.example.com which doesn't exist. Any ideas on what I need to do to get the preview URLs generated properly?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA reporting - preview URL pre-pended with website's default URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Please check if you have your domain entered into the "Default Page" field in Admin -> View -> View Settings. If so you need to remove it and leave that field empty. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The "Default page" field is blank. The website's URL value cannot be blank in the view settings.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It must be caused by one of your filters. You can create a new view and apply your filters one by one to it to see which one causes the problem.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Yes the problem is with the filter to view the full page URL, which has been applied as per https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243 As I mentioned in the OP, I need to track sub-domains so will need the full URL to be able to show these correctly in the reporting view. By applying this filter, the preview URL is incorrect, I opened this thread to see if there's a way to apply this filter but have the preview URL match what comes out in the reporting interface, so:

• What I want: If in the Site Content the page comes out as subdomain.example.com/example.html that the preview link matches this and opens a window that goes to subdomain.example.com/example.html

GA reporting - preview URL pre-pended with website's default URL

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm having this exact same issue. I need the full URL filter because I have cross-domain tracking. Except when I try to use the page preview from "behaviour" it opens the page with a duplicate domain, so in the site content section it'll show the URL www.example.com/example/ but the page preview will go to www.example.comwwwexample.com/example because it automatically puts the domain in front assuming that the FULL url filter isn't set.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? It's only cosmetic, but I'd prefer if it didn't exist.