Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

GA reporting - preview URL pre-pended with website's default URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere on this forum so I'm hoping someone is able to help.

I'm tracking several sub-domains under the one property which works fine. I've got a few filters applied so that the entire URL including the hostname comes up in the reports. However, clicking on the preview link beside a URL under Behavior>Site Content seems to add the default website URL to the address.

So in property settings I have the default URL set to: www.example.com, and in the reporting interface I can see www.example.com/examplepage/ as well as subdomain.example.com. However, clicking on the preview link next to subdomain.example.com brings up a new browser window with the URL filled in www.example.comsubdomain.example.com which doesn't exist. Any ideas on what I need to do to get the preview URLs generated properly?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA reporting - preview URL pre-pended with website's default URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Please check if you have your domain entered into the "Default Page" field in Admin -> View -> View Settings. If so you need to remove it and leave that field empty. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The "Default page" field is blank. The website's URL value cannot be blank in the view settings.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It must be caused by one of your filters. You can create a new view and apply your filters one by one to it to see which one causes the problem.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Yes the problem is with the filter to view the full page URL, which has been applied as per https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243 As I mentioned in the OP, I need to track sub-domains so will need the full URL to be able to show these correctly in the reporting view. By applying this filter, the preview URL is incorrect, I opened this thread to see if there's a way to apply this filter but have the preview URL match what comes out in the reporting interface, so:

• What I want: If in the Site Content the page comes out as subdomain.example.com/example.html that the preview link matches this and opens a window that goes to subdomain.example.com/example.html

GA reporting - preview URL pre-pended with website's default URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this exact same issue. I need the full URL filter because I have cross-domain tracking. Except when I try to use the page preview from "behaviour" it opens the page with a duplicate domain, so in the site content section it'll show the URL www.example.com/example/ but the page preview will go to www.example.comwwwexample.com/example because it automatically puts the domain in front assuming that the FULL url filter isn't set.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? It's only cosmetic, but I'd prefer if it didn't exist.