Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

GA Segments Pulling Too Many URLs

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

I'm trying to pull a data for a certain group of URLs on one of my GA views and I have the segment set up to pull in "pages" that "exactly match" the specific URLs I'm trying to reach, but then when I apply the segment, it seems to be pulling over 1200 URLs on the site. 

It's filtering out something. For example, it's pulling only 2 out 400 pageviews for xyz.com, but xyz.com isn't one of the URLs I've defined in my segment. Curious if anyone would have any ideas as to why that's happening. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GA Segments Pulling Too Many URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Amy :-)
A segment is session based, so it will pull in data for visitors that visit the stated pages but also all other urls that also occurred during their sessions.

An inline/table filter may be more useful to you. If you go to the Behaviour > Site Content > All Pages report, above the top right side of the table is a search field with a link to the right that says Advanced.
Apply a filter to the table using that method and it should only show you the data for the specified pages only.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: GA Segments Pulling Too Many URLs

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Quick after thought too..you could also create a custom report to filter and only include the necessary pages too
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1151300?hl=en
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here