Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Full URI question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to track down a reporting issue that is making comparing data from the previous year difficult. Prior to October '15 my urls in GA were /articles/name-of-article or /page-name/. After that they changed to site.com/articles/name-of-article etc. So when we do a year range you see both domain.com/specific-page and also /specific-page with 2 different metrics instead of combining them. At a glance this could allow us to make mistakes by assuming we are looking at the only metric for that page. I did a little digging and found a filter at the 'view' level that I believe is the culprit and after some Googling realize that this filter shows the full url. http://cl.ly/302w1B1F1g0M. I'm not sure if this could be the issue but I thought that filters work in real time, so if this is added ore removed then all urls are affected, aren't they? In my example it seems like the filter actually wasn't working prior to October 15 but that doesn't make sense. 

Can someone shed some light on this and let me know if this is correct? 

Ideally I would like to remove the filter if it's adding domain.com/ in front of the urls in hopes that it would then match up to the previous year so that we could do more accurate comparisons. 

Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Full URI question

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Robert G,

Thanks for posting to the community. I will see what I can find out for you and update this thread or reach out to you directly via email for more information.

Krisha

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Robert,

Yes, this is an advanced filter, which adds the domain to the URI in the pages report. If you remove this filter, then your pages report will only contain the URI part moving forward. Also, bear in mind that removing this filter won't change the domain+URI in the pages report prior to the removal of this filter.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Robert.

Syed is exactly correct.

Filters do not work on historical data, they are used when the hits are processed and then the data is store, never to be reprocessed again.

In your case your best root may be the API (or custom reports). The API will let you pull some of the underlying metrics such as bounces (not bounce rate) and let you calculate the actual correct bounce rate and other metrics.

You can do it all in Google Sheets, including your calculations and removing the hostname (via formula or find and replace). Or you could pull a custom report, dump into excel etc.

Google sheets AddOn:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics/fefimfimnhjjkomigakinmjileehfopp

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Robert,

Please see the information below provided by our support team.

Thanks,

Krisha

Yes, if there is a filter set-up to track full URLs it would report full URLs. But, this would impact data after the filter comes into play, it does not impact what was previously tracked (without the filter.) This is mentioned on this external help center article: LinkHopefully this clarifies why this is happening.

Unfortunately there is no way to make sure the same filter is applied to data previously tracked and thereby it would be difficult to compare the same pages - as one would be with the full URL and the other would be just the URI.

As a workaround, if they want to look for page: site.com/a for example - under the All Pages report add an advanced filter: screenshot and put in /a there so that it shows both site.com/a and /a and comparison can be made. But unfortunately at this point there is no way to aggregate the reports. 

It is always suggested to have one raw data view with no filters to have back-up for such instances. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I thought that filters were in "real time" so that if I add/remove one that underlying data isn't affected. I'm still a little confused so any clarification would be great. If I understand this correctly, if a filter was added that shows the full url, than if it's removed it should go back to just showing the URI, correct?

Just trying to figure out why a portion of my data prior to October 2015 shows /page/ and then after that shows site.com/page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, please see my response above to Theo.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hey Robert,

View Filters are destructive. That is, if you apply any filter to a data view (this is done in admin and is completely different than filtering in a report) the data is permanently changed. Once you remove a filter it is no longer used on the hits that are streaming into GA.

In your case the filter to concatenate the hostname and URI was added in October and all hits, up until the time you removed the filter were processed using the filter. Once data makes it through the filter process (which happens as the data is received at GA data centers) it is locked in and never changes.

For that reason, all filters should be tested in a separate view and then promoted to your analysis view and as Krisha points out, you should always have an unfiltered view.

The only filters that are in real time and don't impact data are the ones in the reporting section of GA ( not admin) these are similar to filtering underlying Excel Data while the View Filter (admin) is akin to what data makes it into the excel spreadsheet.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn