AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filters using Custom Dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wanted to set up the same filter for multiple views (properties) 

I went to  Admin > view > filters Add new filter 

create new filter, custom....

Filter Field = {my custom dimension name}.   etc. that all worked fine for me.

...However then I wanted to apply the filter to other views/ properties.

I went  to Admin> Account > All filters  

Selected my filter that I just created and tried to "apply filters to views" 

but I got the validation error message  "This value must be non-empty." for Filter Field and My custom dimension did not appear in the drop down.

So I guess this happened as the custom dimension is not available for every view in my account, thus it became unavailable as a filter field at the account level. 

That saying this confused me for a fair while. I guess I would have expected  the "Apply Filters to Views" --> Available Views would be limited to the views that have that specific custom dimension.

I want to check if my logic is correct or if there is something I am missing.   

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emily T
January 2016

Re: Filters using Custom Dimensions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Re Emily

I've used filters frequently but rarely with custom dimensions (which are are fairly new) so it looks like you have found a bug.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Emily

Custom dimensions belong to a proprty, not a view. Filters can be reused accross properties within an account and here lies the rub.

So you were probably tying to apply the filter to a view in a property which lacks the custom dimenstions or metrics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying Oren,

I check the view(s in the properties) and it did have the exact same custom dimension. I have done it the manually way by going to each view and using the "apply existing filter"

Emily
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emily T
January 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Re Emily

I've used filters frequently but rarely with custom dimensions (which are are fairly new) so it looks like you have found a bug.

Filters using Custom Dimensions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emily,

Custom Dimensions are set at the Property level so filters need to be applied at the View level, filters with Custom Dimensions are not available at Account level which is where you were looking.