AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filters by Browser Not Filtering All Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My companies website gets a significant amount of traffic coming from both AWS and our customer data provider, Segment.

The only way I can currently identify that traffic is that I can see the browser level data coming through. I attempted to filter out traffic by browser for Segment and Amazon Technologies, but I'm still seeing a significant amount of traffic in GA from both those sources. 

Any idea why the filters may not be working? Or if there's an alternative solution? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chris,

What's the Service Provider and Hostname of this traffic? (add a secondary dimension - Service Provider / Hostname)

If this traffic has a specific Service provider or Hostname, you should exclude it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes @Chris T.

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The hostname is listed as (not set). Service Provider is amazon technologies inc. 

It doesn't look like you filter by Service Provider. Any other thoughts on ways to filter out this traffic? 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If you see (not set) as a hostname, it's probably a bot traffic. If you're sending data to Google Analytics through measurement protocol, it's a different case.

Recommend using this kind of hostname filter: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/12/10/basic-google-analytics-filters/#Include%20Specific%20Host...

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I've found the most reliable way to block Amazon, Microsft, etc. is by Network Domain. You can view this as a Secondary dimension to get an idea of what you should filter.