Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering internal IP-traffic "broken" by anonymize IP?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have read some of the other articles here on the forum on IP-filtering but have not found a clear answer to my question. Does the GA anonymize-IP function "break" IP-filtering?

I have tried to filter my organizations external IP-adress with no result. But having removed the last minor octet I now see the filtering shows some activity. The problem is of course that I now have mixed in traffic from the other 254 available adresses. So how much of our visitors traffic is hiding behind the other 254 numbers? Perhaps not too many, and judging by the numbers of visitors and their location, they are most likely internal.

Are there any other workarounds that might improve the precision of my IP-filter?

Filtering internal IP-traffic "broken" by anonymize IP?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I love this question and I am wondering the same thing. I would add that I've looked at my tracking code and I can't tell if anonymize is turned on or not. i see the phrase but not near something like "true" as I have seen other users ask about.