Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering by IP in widgets

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to filter the data in individual widgets by IP address or can that only always be done for the whole view's widgets in Admin? Is it possible to filter the data in individual dashboards by IP address?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CLauren123 C
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lauren, 

Capturing Personal Identifying Information is not allowed but you do have the option to create a custom dimension from a person's default 'client ID' or setup User ID tracking. 

Now i'm not sure what you mean by widgets, perhaps you can shed light on this this?

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CLauren123 C
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lauren, 

Capturing Personal Identifying Information is not allowed but you do have the option to create a custom dimension from a person's default 'client ID' or setup User ID tracking. 

Now i'm not sure what you mean by widgets, perhaps you can shed light on this this?

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

There is no IP filtering for user access to the GA interface and therefore no widget-level control.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @CLauren123,

You can create custom dimension and apply that as a condition for filters in widgets. But GA doesn't allow PII information to be sent to analytics servers.
But I guess you can encrypt the PII and send it.
Check here for the encryption conditions for PII: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6366371?hl=en

Hope this helps
Thanks,
Ritwik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses! yeah I definitely didn't see any apparent options to do this when I looked at the ways the widgets could be filtered...the dashboard was really created for a website that is related to the organization's "main" website but it is a completely different domain. If they want to have different IPs excluded/included in the Admin area for this website, I figured they would have to put this website into its own View and create separate excludes/includes for it. I will look into the topic of creating custom dimensions though as I haven't yet read about that up to this point.