AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering URL parameters without messing stuff up

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the problem where URL parameters are causing my pages to appear in many different rows (see image).

Capture.JPG

This specific example is caused my MailChimp, but there are tons of other URL parameters that come from various sources that are messing up my data.

My solution is to put a find/replace regex filter in my view with this \?.* to remove all parameters. 

My questions is: What unintended consequences will this have? I presume UTM parameters that I intentionally set (source, medium, campaign) will still be processed correctly, is that correct?

Thanks.

Filtering URL parameters without messing stuff up

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sean,

You're right, UTM parameters will still be processed correctly.

If you exclude all the parameters the only thing is that you'll not see them in GA anymore (maybe they will give you some insights in the future). I recommend keeping one GA view unfiltered so that you can still find this information if it's needed in the future.

Hope this helps.
Taavi