Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering Pages and grouping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I am a total newbie at this so please be gentle with me.

My first and foremost request is as follows:

I have a website called www.SEEtheWILD.org and we a lead generator for amazing experiences with wildlife and conservation.  The issue is some of our top pages our informational pages like whale shark facts.  First and foremost, how to create a report that filters out these 20 or so informational pages.  I know how to filter 5 pages but that's it.  I have played with content grouping with no success.

After I am able to figure out how to filter out these informational pages, I would love to know how to group my pages by company, location, animal, but that a whole different level.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this.

Sincerely,

Brian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brian,

I guess Google Analytics content grouping indeed is what you're looking for. Assuming that the definition what makes up an informational page or companies or locations etc. is given in your page URLs in some way, you have to choose between extraction and rule-set methods for defining a content grouping [1]. Animals for example you would have to extract from page URLs. And any non-systematic bundle of pages May be defined by a rule set using the "|" (OR) operator in a regular expression (like pageA|pageB|pageC).

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Danke schön Christoph.

I really appreciate your response.  Although I don't fully understand it I hope my questions will make it clearer.

i) The 20 pages that I would like to filter out all have in the URL's either the word "facts" or "threats".  As in Shark facts or Shark Threats.  Can you please tell me step by step how to filter these out?

ii) We have a blog section called Wild Hope and wondering if we can run a report that excludes or only shows the page views of them.  Although Wild Hope is not in each URL they are all located in that section of the site.

iii) Does the name of the company, country visited and animal type all have to be in the URL to track/filter?  We do have all the information on each product page.  If you look at sea sierra national parks adventure you will see standardised fields like "operator", "Wildlife" and "Country" further down.  Are we not able to sort through this?  

Thanks so much for your help Christoph.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Brian,

i) You may address these pages by the regular expression (regex) [1]

-(facts|threats)/$

i.e. a minus sign, then "facts" or "threats", and finally a closing slash at the end of the URL.

You may apply the regex directly in any Analytics report via advanced filter field (exclude page matching regexp ...).

Or you go the route given above by permanently defining this type of pages as a rule-set content group.

ii) That's more difficult because your key term isn't included in all page URLs. So, you have three possibilities: (1) Make the key term available in all relevant page URLs and use rule-set content grouping for all pages containing the key term (2) Implement a special label into the source code of these pages (tracking-code method of content grouping, see help article above), or (3) you apply brute-force rule-set content grouping by adding all pages in a regex containing "|" as OR signs (pageA|pageB|pageC ...) - but this might be tedious and error-prone.

iii) in this case, it might be relatively simple for your website wizards to insert according content-group directives into the source code of your pages (method 2 above). Alternatively, you may use general labels - they're called custom dimensions. See [2] for a discussion on what would be better suited in your case.

Christoph

[1] https://www.ohow.co/regular-expressions-regex-google-analytics/

[2] http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/01/21/content-groupings-vs-custom-dimensions/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Christoph.  So let's look at the first issue and what I have entered and why it is not working. 

I want to achieve this through Content Grouping as I feel this will help me in other applications.

I created a content group called Animal Regex and under "group using extraction" I have selected page in green and entered -threats/

In my custom reports, !  have selected Flat Table,  Dimensions: Page, Metrics: Page Sessions and under Filter Include, Animal Regex (content group). I have selected exact, but the next box is blank.

When i save this nothing comes up.  What should i be entering?