AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering Average Values & Total Events by Event Value

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Is it possible to get the average value and total number of events from a subset of events?

The subset of events I'm interested in have an event value within certain numeric ranges.

For instance, if I'm tracking the following events:

• Category: "myCategory", Label: "myLabel", Value: 0
  • Category: "myCategory", Label: "myLabel", Value: 0
  • Category: "myCategory", Label: "myLabel", Value: 10
  • Category: "myCategory", Label: "myLabel", Value: 20
  • Category: "myCategory", Label: "myLabel", Value: 30

When I head to Behavior > Top Events, I can see that the total number of events is 5 and the average value is (0 + 0 + 10 + 20 + 30)/5 = 12.

I'm interested to see what these metrics are for the subset of events with non-zero values, that is, I want to see the total number of non-zero valued events (3), with an average value of (10 + 20 + 30)/3 = 20.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filtering Average Values & Total Events by Event Value

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Lilly.

If you click on the advanced link at the top of the Events table, you can select Include -> Avg. Value -> Greater than -> 0.

I guess this should do the trick. Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response! (:

I was under the impression that filtering by average value > 0 will only show events with an average value above 0.
In the example above, wouldn't that still show a total number of 5 and an average value of 12 since 12 > 0?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You're right, Lilly, my mistake. I have two event categories wit a value which is always zero and I'm getting the same result when filtering either by Event Value = 0 or by Avg. Value = 0. But the right way to do it is to filter by the former.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This still does not answer Lilly's question, unfortunately. Google Analytics aggregates values BEFORE applying metric filters. As such, filtering by Event Value = 0 will ignore data whose aggregate event value is 0. In Lilly's example, the event value would be 60, and thus would not be filtered out.

I have a similar issue where I would like to ignore events with a value outside a certain range, and the only way I have found that this may be possible is by ensuring that every event hit has an entirely unique value for some dimension which can be displayed on an explorer chart in the Analytics interface. Then, you can use advanced filters on the explorer to ignore certain events.

However, this is a highly impractical solution. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to filter these values out. If you have found a solution, I would love to hear it.

Filtering Average Values & Total Events by Event Value

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue and would love a way to filter out individual values.