Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter visits/sessions who pass through a spacefic page at some point in their navigation path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble filtering a specific set of traffic from our data which distorts things quite a bit.

Basically we have have two kinds of visitor on our site- "registered users" (clients) and "unregistered users" (potential clients).

All of our registered users path through our main site (mostly through the homepage) in order to access the subscription service they have signed up for. In terms of our analyses we are trying to filter out all those registered users, to focus only on our unregistered users (potential clients).

Is there a way in analytics, USING A SEGMENT, to: "remove all data relating to the set of visitors that pass through page x (the page which registered users access having logged in)"?

example:

Navigation paths

User A (registered user): home->login page->subcription content->abandon

User B (UNregistered user): home->login page->pricing page->abandon

User C (UNregistered user): home-> about us page-> faqs->abandon

User D (UNregistered user): home->abandon

User E (registered user): home->login page->subcription content->abandon

What I want to do is get rid of all data relating to users A & E, but keep all data relating to users B,C, & D.

Many thanks indeed

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Unir S
September 2016

Re: Filter visits/sessions who pass through a spacefic page at some point in their navigation path

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes, simply create a segment where Page is login page. Only sessions with that page view will be included.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Filter visits/sessions who pass through a spacefic page at some point in their navigation path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi , is it possible to use a filter (not a segement), so the entire SESSION is excluded.

So if I use Filter  > Custom > Exclude >  REQUEST URI  > filter pattern: ((test=)|(testje=)|(testjes=))   

WILL this exclude the whole session or only the pageviews that are a hit for this pattern ? 

goal: to exclude complete sessions for people who use the test=whatever querystring in one of their quests ... (this on top of an ip range that i want to exclude )

thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

View filters will only exclude the individual (matching) hits.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.