AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter view to include multiple (over 200) IP addresses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My team have been trying to setup a view within the GA account to Include IP addresses so that we can see stats for visits by employees of the company.

We're using the Custom Filter and are including IP addresses as regular expressions. Because of the 255 character limit, we've had to create multiple Filters (all of which are Custom Filters with the IP addresses as regular expressions.

After a day, we're still not seeing any visits on this account but there's nothing obviously wrong with the filters themselves.

Have anyone come across this issue and can they help?

Thanks, Rinella

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rinella D
February 2016

Re: Filter view to include multiple (over 200) IP addresses

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It wont work for multiple include filters that filter for the same field.
So yes, you will need to use the all traffic View and a View that excludes the IP addresses to make a comparison
Unfortunately segments cannot be created for IP addresses either
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Filters fire in the order they have been assigned.
The problem with multiple include filters, is if a site visitor does not meet the requirements of the first filter, then the visit is discarded
and does not make it to the 2nd (or other filters) that follow after.

If employees have a particular page only they need to visit or they must log in or similar, it would probably be better to use a custom dimension, set at user scope in order to identify them and then use this for filtering.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was worried about that... I was hoping the fact that we set it up as a regular expression meant that it would 'match' the way the exclude filter does, rather than discard it at first go.

It's an online report that doesn't have a specific page for employees or a login... it's just so we can give an analysis of the fact that there is traffic and it's used in different ways by external and internal people.

The character limit on the field means that we can't fit all the IP addresses (even with the ranges) in the first field.

Should I therefore assume that If I have multiple include filters, it won't work and therefore, I'm better off doing an analysis between all traffic and the view which has exclude IP addresses to spot the difference?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rinella D
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It wont work for multiple include filters that filter for the same field.
So yes, you will need to use the all traffic View and a View that excludes the IP addresses to make a comparison
Unfortunately segments cannot be created for IP addresses either

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Instead of filters for 200 IPs,
We can try segmenting (Advanced >> Conditions) it with the service provider for your company(The names of the Internet service providers (ISPs) used by visitors to your site.).

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was afraid of that... thank you so much for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help... I might give that a go and see if there's a service provider that catches all 'employees' in the net.

Filter view to include multiple (over 200) IP addresses

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you ever get this figured out? Trying to do the same thing on a test view for internal-only traffic and made same mistake about how include filters work. We already have external-only view set up. We have multiple divisions on same ISP, so can't go that route.