Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter to exclude for multiple IP addresses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have  multiple internal IP addresses range that we need to filter out. For e.g.

All Ip addresses starting from 10.*

All IP addresses start from 182.*

What is the best way to exclude these.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter to exclude for multiple IP addresses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is this the right way to do it.
^10\..*$|^182\.16\..*$

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Shameem S,

You should be more specific about the range of IPs that you want to filter out. What if my IP was in that range, or started with 10 dot something, or 182 dot something? Then you would be filtering out my traffic, too, as well as everybody else whose IP falls in those ranges.

Best would be to find out what your exact ranges are and then to configure your filter. For example, if your IP was in the range: 182.16.100.23 to 182.16.100.33, then your regex would be:

^182\.16\.100\.(2[3-9]|3[0-3])$

You can create multiple "exclude" filters, so no need to concatenate them.

Hope this helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the reply.

I have only a range starting from 10.* 182.*. In such cases is there no way
I can write a filter with those Ip addresses range in google analytics with
out knowing first three parts.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
HI Shaheem S,

If you don't specify your range, then, again as I said, you could be filtering out a lot of visitors.

Check with your IT team to find the ranges. If that's not possible, then I would try to find another way of filtering out your IP addresses.

Nicky
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky Y,

I hope i may use this thread to ask about filtering Own Company IP-range, in combination with _anonymizelp

We had a custom filter pattern, in IP Address, which was
^111\.222\.333\.(1(9[2-9])|2(0[0-7]))$ (first 3 octets are fake).

Briefly we introduced the anonimyze Ip option, via tagmanager. Our filters to either exclude or include our own traffic no longer work.

If i understand correctly i would have to change the filter, so that is also filters out the ip 111.222.333.0

But: than i would also be excluding visitors that are using an ip close to our range.

Would you advise filtering on IP, or would it be better to switch to filtering on ISP domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here is the working solution of the multiple address filter. Tested and its good to go.

^10\..*$|^182\.16\..*$
^111\.222\.333\.(1(9[2-9])|2(0[0-7]))$ (if specific IP range available.)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi, Shaheem S,

I have to warn you again, that it's not wise to set filters with such large ranges as you could very well be filtering out traffic you would otherwise want to keep. You should find out from your IT team what your IP ranges are and filter as specifically as possible. Strange analogy time: It's like driving a school bus to pick up kids to school, but you only go and pick up every 4 or 5 child - yeah, you get some of them to school, but you exclude all the others that want to go to school. What's the point of analytics if you don't intend for it to be accurate?

Ultimately, it's your choice ...

Nicky