Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter settings for Real Bounce Rate calculation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I would like to ask if someone could help me with this issue. I would like to calculate real bounce Rate in automated google drive reports and I do not know how I can specify in filters correct condition what I can set manually in GA (see following screenshot). 

2016-05-10 13_49_51-Audience Overview - Google Analytics.png

Here is how I think it should be working with magic script in G.drive, but its not. correct it always give me 0 sessions value:

2016-05-10 13_56_44-General Report - Google Sheets.png

I will be glad for any idea how this could work. 

Thank you in Advanced for your answer. 

Best, 

Katarina

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter settings for Real Bounce Rate calculation

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Katarina,

Your values here mimic what a bounce is; i.e. 1 pageview and no events. I'm not sure why your just not using bounces or bounce rate. What is your definition of a real bounce?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Theo,

the thing is that our bounces are not counting properlly in GA because of wronge event settings in GTM I think and thats why we have to count it manually. When we set condition like you see on the pritscreen I will see all sessions without any interection e.i. # of bounces.

In our case following formula [Bounce Rate =TotalSessions with 1 pageview and 0 events / Total Sessions] is different that bounce rate provided by Google Analytics and I assume that it should be the same number.

Is it possible to set it up with this settings manually in Goodle Sheet? I will need to just know how to calculate Real number of bounces (in our case)using filters what I mentioned.

Thank you for any answer
Best,
Katarina

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Katarina,

I think you know this but I'm going to write it anyway: The only way an event count cause an improper bounce rate it it fires on page load or without any user activity. There are some use-cases for firing an event in this manner but it should always be done as a non-interaction event. I recommend that you modify the events non-interaction hit setting to true in GTM.

That said, back to your segment which shows 1 pageview and 0 events.. again which would be a bounce. If you want to look at 1 pageview AND 1 event of the type that you feel is impacting your bounce rate I think that would give you what you want.

In any case; whichever way you need to build the segment in GA, do that and then call the segment in the google sheet.

To get the segment ID you can use the query explorer here:

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/query-explorer/

Just click into the segment field (it can take a minute to populate sometimes) and then get the gaid value and then just use that in the Google Sheet.

e.g. gaid::-10

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

we found where is the problem with our bounce rate calculation thanks to your non-interaction settings.

Actually we having set it up on False because othervise it will give us wrong calculation of session duration and bounce rate, same like is mention in this article: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/05/06/noninteraction-events-google-analytics/

We found that for scroll event setting we using True .. what is not correct Smiley Happy .. I hope that it will work now correctly.

Thanks for your advice. Have a great day.
Best,
Katarina

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Katarina,

Glad that I could help. Happy analyzing!

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn