Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter out visits to customer account section of site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've inherited a google analytics account for our site that has a number of questionable things set up.  One such example is a filter to exclude pageviews from users who login and utilise our customer accounts section.  This allows them to view recent orders, track delivery, update contact details etc.

I want to delete this, but wondered if anyone can think of a good reason this was put in place and therefore why i should keep it?  

It will affect my data from a year on year comparison perspective, but that's only quite small.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter out visits to customer account section of site

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Neil,
This is actually quite common.
Many business owners only want to track the user to the point of the conversion. Mainly so that they can see how their advertising is performing and how it affects page usage. Converted users using the customer section don't fall into this cohort or strategy so they're excluded. Many advertisers track their converted users separately and much more granularly as they have access to personally identifiable information. Applications like Intercom make this possible.

So, excluding already converted customers may give you a more accurate CPA on AdWords for example and give you a much more accurate bounce rate in response to certain advertising.

It's completely up to the website owner as to how they want to implement GA, there's literally thousands of different implementations for an equally abundant set of use cases.