Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter new visitors visiting a URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is it possible to create a filter with the following conditions:

Exclude

New visitors

Sessions = 1

visitor visits a url ex: login page

I've created a segment for this but was hoping if it can be turned into a filter for a particular view in GA

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter new visitors visiting a URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jucque,

Can you post a screenshot of your segment definition to make things clearer?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

Here are the screenshots of the segment i've created.

behavior.PNGconditions.PNGsequences.PNG

Thanks,

-Jucque

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jucque,

thanks for the screenshots - however, I still don't get point what you're intending actually. Could you describe in words what segment do you want to build and the rational behind it?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

So I'm trying to segment new visitors, I wanted to exclude new visitors that visit a particular page. in this case the login page.

I was able to create a segment for this, but wanted to see if this can be applied as a filter on the view.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
-Jucque

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jucque,

Thanks for clarifying. You're actually using some weird mixture of session, users, and sequence segments - you can exclude new visitors on login pages with the following custom segment

test.gif

However, bear in mind that segments - contrary to view filters - always filter complete user sessions for the given condition.

With view filters you don't have the possibility of connecting conditions with logical operators like AND. You could set up to view filters - one

exclude Type = New user

and the other

exclude Page Title = Login

(applied sequentially). But that's not the same as the segment. Additionally, view filters operate on hit level. So, for login users all page views before login aren't filtered in view filters, and are filtered in segments.

Christoph