Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter has stopped working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In several months Analytics has been correctly filtering out traffic from my own IP-adresse in my analytics view. But now it does not work.

If I now google "What is my IP" I get this answer: "::ffff:193.212.136.161"

And if I update my analytics filter to exclude "::ffff:193.212.136.161" (instead of the previous "193.212.136.161") the filter works again.

What is this about? And is this a temporarlily change/error?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter has stopped working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If the IP address changes for whatever reason. then yes. the filter will need to also be edited.
I dont know what sort of connection you are using however in the past I have seen instances where routers have received firmware updates etc from the ISP and have been accidently changed to IPV6 connections and other similar situations
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I get the "::ffff:193.212.136.161" as answer from google when I type "what is my ip" BUT I get only the "193.212.136.161" (which is correct) when checking http://www.whatsmyip.org/ So google (and only google..) sees the "wrong" IP-adresse - the one that starts with "::ffff:". Is this a Google-error then?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Is this a Google-error then?
No idea i dont work for Google, although I have also had www.whtsmyip.org return me inccrrect results on occasions for my own ip.

If you feel Google Search is returning you incorrect results, there is a subforum to report issues on the Google Search Help Forum:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/websearch

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your answers.
As a matter of fact it seems like "::ffff:193.212.136.161" is the IPv6 version of our IPv4 address. And maybe my router now has started to send the IPv6-version and/or Google recently started to see that version from the outside..

If I am right, I will have to update all my filters in analytics... :-)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Øyvind N
May 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I recommend you have 2 filters set up
one for your IPv4 and one for your IPv6

And yes update all your filters.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I often keep one View to include my visits only, that way if it suddenly stops collecting data for my visits,
I know to check if my IP has changed.
Another alternative, is to setup a page with a Custom Dimension set at User scope level, the page being only available
to you. Set up a filter to exclude the value of that Custom Dimension and then visit the page.
Saves having multiple filters setup for IP and means your visit will still be not tracked if ever your IP changes.
You just need to be sure to visit that page on all devices and browsers that you use or if you clear cookies etc.