Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter for visitors who spend time in certain category

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

is it possible to set filter for visitors who spend certain time in category of the e-shop?

E.g. I have a shoes category in the e-shop so the first step probably should be that URL contains "/shoes/".

Now I want to remarket visitors who spend more than 2 minutes in subpages of this category. (It doesnt matter to me if the visitor spend 1 minute on one page or 10s on each of 10 pages if it is in "shoes" category).

Thanks for the tips.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter for visitors who spend time in certain category

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Beny,

I do not believe this can be achieved with a default GA set up. My suggestion would be to push a GA event once this condition has been met which would mean tracking time on site while user is on specific category pages - the time calculation would cookies to store the actual time for a specific category or a cookie per category.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Beny L
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
It sounds like you want a segment for Page contains /shoes/ AND Time on Page > # where your # is the number of seconds you want them to be on that page. This would create a segment with all sessions that included a visit to one of those pages of that time duration EXCEPT if that was the last page in their session (time on page for exit pages is always zero).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Seems to work, thank you