Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter errors - possibly because of event not set?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been having issues with GA over filtering data, and I'm wondering if it could be because of some tags that do not have anything for Event Label?  

I'm creating a session level filter, where a specific event has not occurred.  The event that I am filtering on has Category, Action, and Label, but other events possibly do not have all 3.  Is it possible that my over filtering is due to data not being set?  I know that there should be sessions that qualify for my filtered segment, and I get 0 results.  Even when I look at sessions individually, there is no reason that they should be excluded?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes, an empty value could cause the problem. Event category, action and label fields do not have a '(not set)' value -- if it is empty, then the session is NOT INCLUDED in a report that has that field.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes, an empty value could cause the problem. Event category, action and label fields do not have a '(not set)' value -- if it is empty, then the session is NOT INCLUDED in a report that has that field.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, on a related topic I'm experiencing the exact opposite outcome. The events category filter is increasing the number of data and reducing it. Many of my events labels are "(not set)" and I wonder if the Event Category is triggering the "(Not Set)" labels to be counted in the sessions. 

Here's what I'm doing:

Running a report with Custom Dimensions of Facility ID and User ID then Sessions as Metrics. This gives me about 3,000 entries.

What happens when I'm adding in Events Category Filter:

I add in an Event Category Filter for "Discharge". It should make the list smaller but it increases the data count to about 12,000. 

Can you advise?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen a similar issue to this one as well! I was getting user counts > session counts when using filters in Custom Reports. 

I think this one was related to using sessions as the metric and using a filter to count.  The session will only be included if what you are filtering on was the FIRST hit of the session, not if it occurred anywhere in that session (like what you would get if you created a segment).  

Try this link - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2934985?hl=en 

I believe my solution was using a segment to filter the sessions instead of using a filter to count sessions.  My application has similar Custom Dimensions that are captured once the user logs in, so if I tried to filter on those Custom Dimension for number of sessions, it was only looking at the Login events - which don't have the CD's yet.  So in your case, the 3,000 count is probably too low.