AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter control - how to group page urls

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to group URLs that contain the same string when I analyze, say, the exit behavior of my visitors. I have set up content groupings where I have a rule called "Generic Landing Page" where the rule is "Page Contains /mylandingpage/"

When I go to behavior-> cite content -> exit pages, I see a bunch of pages for /mylandingpage/ with URL parameters like /mylandingpage/campaign=xxx&url=xxx... as well as many other pages.

What I want to do is just group all of the pages that contain "/mylandingpage/" into 1 row (ignore any parameters). However, I can't figure out how to apply the content grouping. What am I missing? Should I even be using the content grouping feature?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian B
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian, 

if you don´t need your query parameters for analyzing remove them via a Filter. More Infos in this guide from Paul Koks http://online-metrics.com/technical-query-parameters/

This should fix your problem.

To group the content Regex works best for me, much better than contains etc.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Exit pages report is supposed to show exit numbers by page paths so there is no option to group pages. Consider using Custom Report with Content Group as a dimension and the same metrics as in the Exit pages report.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian B
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian, 

if you don´t need your query parameters for analyzing remove them via a Filter. More Infos in this guide from Paul Koks http://online-metrics.com/technical-query-parameters/

This should fix your problem.

To group the content Regex works best for me, much better than contains etc.