Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter control - how to group page urls

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to group URLs that contain the same string when I analyze, say, the exit behavior of my visitors. I have set up content groupings where I have a rule called "Generic Landing Page" where the rule is "Page Contains /mylandingpage/"

When I go to behavior-> cite content -> exit pages, I see a bunch of pages for /mylandingpage/ with URL parameters like /mylandingpage/campaign=xxx&url=xxx... as well as many other pages.

What I want to do is just group all of the pages that contain "/mylandingpage/" into 1 row (ignore any parameters). However, I can't figure out how to apply the content grouping. What am I missing? Should I even be using the content grouping feature?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian B
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian, 

if you don´t need your query parameters for analyzing remove them via a Filter. More Infos in this guide from Paul Koks http://online-metrics.com/technical-query-parameters/

This should fix your problem.

To group the content Regex works best for me, much better than contains etc.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Exit pages report is supposed to show exit numbers by page paths so there is no option to group pages. Consider using Custom Report with Content Group as a dimension and the same metrics as in the Exit pages report.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian B
March 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian, 

if you don´t need your query parameters for analyzing remove them via a Filter. More Infos in this guide from Paul Koks http://online-metrics.com/technical-query-parameters/

This should fix your problem.

To group the content Regex works best for me, much better than contains etc.