Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Filter IP address checkout page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello everybody,

I have a specific question about our IP address.
We have filtered our IP address in our Analytics account.
We place a lot of orders in the frontend by ourselfs. Becouse of that, not all transactions are configured.

We have 2 choices:

- Filter our IP address. The sessions will be exactly right, but the transaction won't.
- Don't filter our IP address. The sessions won't be right, but the transaction will be

Is it possible to filter our IP address, excluding the checkout page? Then the sessions ánd the transactions will be right.

Hope you guys have a solution!

Greetings,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter IP address checkout page

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, the best practice is to have the following view setup:
- one "raw data" view, unfiltered
- one view that excludes your own traffic
- one view that ioncludes only your own traffic

That way you'll be able to view your transactions under 3 different angles and still have a global transaction number.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your answer, didn't think about that yet!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Or if you use Google Tag Manager to deploy GA you could easily create a Lookup Table variable like this:

http://i.imgur.com/mlIh5u8.png 

It does one simple thing - when your GTM is in Preview/Debug mode and you open your site then all the traffic that you create is being sent to different Property and View (you need to create them first and setup as Constant variables in GTM). When you leave Preview/Debug mode all the traffic that you create goes to your main Property/View.

It's a great way to reduce pollution of your main view with your test data. However it's worth noting that it will only work for yourself in the same browser that you enabled GTM's Debug/Preview mode. If you'd need more help to set this up then please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@Olgierd I'm not sure your answer answers the original question, which was about IP filters, nor GTM debug mode
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It may not answer question directly but it does what author wanted to accomplish - register transactions without messing their original data. Just wanted to show different approach to solve this problem.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
As much as I appreciate the thought process, how is a company going to realistically enforce the use of GTM debug mode for their employees? Add all of their user accounts to GTM? Warn them when you switch container versions so that they update their preview mode?
Your approach would be valid if IP addresses were accessible reliably on the browser side. Then your lookup table would have merit if applied to a dataLayer variable containing the IP but even then you'd be faced with the issue of lookup tables only working with direct matches, which prevents the use of IP range filtering, as doable in filters.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Julien,

I respect highly your expertise and undisputable knowledge about Google Analytics. Best proof of that is your status of Top Contributor. I know for the fact that people bearing this title are expected to be respectful of other's and their opinions and accept that we are all here to exchange knowledge and help other people. I know that they understand that because of that there's no need to try to prove anyone wrong just because you don't agree with different approach.

Because of all of that I'll assume that you're truly Top Contributor with all those aforementioned traits and didn't intend to sound condescending and wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong just for the sake of proving wrong. I truly admire your experience and your answers that are very often truly insightful and strongly believe that this whole situation was just a mishap.

I'm very open to exchange knowledge and even accept fact that I'm sometimes wrong, however I'm not used to do it that way. I hope you understand.

Kind regards

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
@Olgierd
You seem to be passionate about this exchange. I'm not sure how what I answered can be construed as condescending.
Having said that, I always roll 1 for diplomacy so here goes: you were off topic and therefore did not answer the original question, directly or indirectly.
I tried telling you using the short version the first time and then a second time with the longer version.
There is no intent to prove you wrong for the sake of it. A question was asked and needed to be answered. Unfortunately you were off topic in your answer, which would not have helped the original poster.
There is nothing personal or even malicious in my approach.
Sorry if feelings were hurt in the process.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Julien,

Thank you for your kind answer. Now I know that you didn't intend to sound like I perceived it and understood your rationale behind your answers. I acknowledge that your answer was more "to the point" but I still hold to my opinion that there are some cases where it would be acceptable or preferred to use my solution. However maybe not this time.

Nonetheless I'm truly glad that we managed to have it all explained. And like I stated before no offense taken - I really appreciate your input to forum.

Kind regards