Analytics
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Extra include filter by country doesn't work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm setting up filters for my Google Analytics account because I saw I had trafffic from 200 different countries.

I now want to set-up filters to only show European traffic. There is no option to include Europe so now I'm setting up an include country filter so:

Custom filter -> include -> country -> Filter pattern: Country1|Country2|Country3 etc.

This works great if I look at my real-time data BUT there is a problem.

The filter pattern exceeded the max. 255 characters so I've set-up a 2nd filter like above:

Custom filter -> include -> country-> Filter pattern: Country4|Country5|Country 6 etc.

But this doesn't work... I see the real-time data goes to 0 if I enable the 2nd filter.

When I dissable the 2nd filter it works great again.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Best Regards,

Robin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Extra include filter by country doesn't work

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you are creating a custom report, then filter by Continent contains Europe.

If you are looking at the online reports, view Audience > Geo > Location > Continent, and click on Europe to filter the results to only Europe, then click on Country (below the map) to see the countries (sub-continent is shown by default).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robin G
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Sorry...just realized you were wanting a View filter, and continent is not available there.

All sessions must pass all Include filters to be accepted. That is why you can't use 2 include filters -- everything that passes through one will fail the other. You have to resort to shrinking the regex expression to fit....this should work

"^(Å|Alb|And|Austri|Bela|Belg|Bos|Bul|Cr|Cz|De|Es|Fa|Fin|Fra|Ger|Gi|Greec|Gue|Hu|Ic|Ire|It|Je|Ko|Lat|Lie|Lit|Lu|Mace|Malt|Mol|Mona|Mont|Net|No|Po|Ro|Ru|San|Ser|Sl|Sp|Swe|Swi|Uk|United K)"
It is a list of unique starting letters for each of the countries in Europe (I think I got them all = 49?).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sir,

You are awesome!

Thank you very much!!

Extra include filter by country doesn't work

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Vatican City and Svalbard and Jan Mayen are missing, the 'No' (for Norway) value includes non-European countries like Northern Mariana Islands and Norfolk Island, the 'Fa' value (for Faroe Islands) includes Falkland Island too.

Here is a more accurate filter:

^(Å|Alb|And|Austri|Bela|Belg|Bos|Bul|Cr|Cz|De|Es|Faroe|Fin|Fra|Ger|Gi|Greec|Gue|Hu|Ic|Ire|Isle of Man|It|Je|Ko|Lat|Lie|Lit|Lux|Mace|Malt|Mol|Mona|Mont|Net|Norw|Pol|Port|Ro|Ru|San Mar|Ser|Slov|Sp|Sval|Swe|Swi|Uk|United K|Vati)