Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding users by username domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've searched help forums, blogs, etc to no avail. My company's site requires login credentials to access our help forum, and I'm looking to set up an exclusion filter such that internal users are filtered out, regardless of IP address, location, browser, etc. Essentially, all employees will be logged in with a common domain (@company.com), so is there any way to exclude users if their username includes that domain? Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding users by username domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dan G,

As Google doesn't permit the collection of any personally identifiable information (PII), I don't think it would be possible to create a filter based on partial user names (as this would presume that you are also collecting the user names in the first place). What you could do is that if you are only trying to filter out internal users, you can create a custom dimension that would be set to "yes", for example, if an internal user is logged in ("no" if not internal). Then in your reports, you can segment or filter based on that custom dimension.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: Excluding users by username domain

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Dan,

if your employees don't share the same IP range I guess a simpler and more practical solution in your case is to 'misuse' an Analytics blocker for that, e.g. to use Google's opt-out tool [1]. It may be temporarily deactivated if any Analytics testing has to be done by your employees.

Christoph

[1] https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en