AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding my IP from Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't want my own visits to affect my Analytics data. To this end, I set up a filter as follows: Exclude | traffic from the IP addresses | that are equal to | [my IP address] | All Web Site Data. 

It's not working. I can watch my own visits in realtime on analytics. I can click through to different pages and watch the changes happening, leaving little doubt that it is actually me I am seeing (plus the fact that the location matches). 

Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jacob A
April 2016

Re: Excluding my IP from Analytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jacob,

Filters now work on the real-time view too but the real-time report can be viewed from an unfiltered or filtered view.

You can check which view you're looking at by checking the view name on the top right corner of the screen (above the charts). If the view is unfiltered or all website data view, then you need to change the view to the specific filtered view where you've added your IP exclude filter.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Are you looking at the view to which you've added this exclude filter? All website data seems to suggest you might be looking at the unfiltered view.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Syed,

Thanks for the response! I am using the Real-Time > Overview view, which does not seem to specify whether the view is filtered or not. If I have the filter set, shouldn't the realtime view exclude my own IP? Maybe I don't understand enough...can you elaborate further? Thanks!

Jacob
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jacob A
April 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jacob,

Filters now work on the real-time view too but the real-time report can be viewed from an unfiltered or filtered view.

You can check which view you're looking at by checking the view name on the top right corner of the screen (above the charts). If the view is unfiltered or all website data view, then you need to change the view to the specific filtered view where you've added your IP exclude filter.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jacob,

To quickly check if the view you are looking at is indeed the view with the exclude filter, just navigate to Google Analytics Interface and click on "Admin" tab.
In the "VIEW" column, navigate to the Filters selection and check if the exclude filter is contained in the list. If yes, note the view name as this is the one you want to see in the reporting page. If not, search through the VIEW dropdown list until you find the view with the filter you had created earlier. Assuming that is the view you want to have the filter, note the view name; available at the top of the side bar on filter list page.
Now click on the "Reporting" tab and you should see the same View name on the very top right, beside the gears icon.
This process will ensure you are viewing the same view as the one you are looking at in the Admin interface.

Adding on...
I have encountered the exact scenario just recently. What I've found is that even though your hits might be appearing in the real-time report, this does not guarantee that these hits will make into your actual report as the data. One probable reason, which you can find on the google support doc (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1638635?hl=en) is that "Changes made to views may take up to two hours to reflect in Real-Time", so definitely do give it a bit of time if you haven't done so already.

Cheers,

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Jacob a quick question did you add this filter to your origional view or did you create a new view and add your filter to it. We use as a best practice several views but in no instance do we ever add any filters to our origional view we keep that as pristine raw data, we always create a second view when we creat a new account and add the filter to it to exclude our IP address. We can then add new views as needed and add filters to them but we always keep one set of data as completely unfiltered we can then use this unfiltered data to test filters via the advance filter area to see if the filter works as we expect and we dont lose any data.

Excluding my IP from Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this problem and trying to follow your steps.  But don't see the "Reporting" tab.  

Also, I have the Filter "known IPs" and it shows up in the View "All Web Site Data".  Are there more steps to it then making sure my filter is part of the view i'm looking at?

Am I missing something?