Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding internal traffic of mobile app

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I'm using GA to track analytics of my mobile app, but I'm getting biased results mainly due to the internal traffic. Is it possible to exclude specific userIDs so that we only get usage data from external users? Similar to what can be done with filters excluding specific IPs. 

Thanks in advance!
Sofia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

There's a couple of different ways to exclude users. You could use userID, or client ID (not quite sure which you mean), by setting these as a customer dimension and then filtering out users who match the list of IDs - that could get pretty crazy to manage though. If your staff do not login to the site, you'd also need to collect those IDs in the first place which could be tricky.

Here's a good post about this: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/04/27/internal-traffic-google-analytics/ . The custom dimension method mentioned at the end of the article could, for example, be implemented by asking all staff to visit a webpage which then sets a CD on their device which you can then exclude, not perfect however but better than nothing. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sofia,

If you're sending userIDs to Google Analytics using Custom Dimensions or Custom Metrics, you can create a specific view filter and exclude those different userIDs that you don't want to see in your reports.

Admin -> Filters -> + Add Filter -> Custom -> Exclude -> userID (the name of this specific custom dimension or metric that you've defined) -> (Enter those different userIDs like) 34|44|55|22 -> Save.

The pipe (|) means OR in Google Analytics.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help John!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks Taavi, I'm going to try this out.