Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Pages from Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been trying to exclude specific webpages from our behavior reports and am unsure whether to create filters for this or another feature in GA. I'm trying to remove a few of the below pages from the report, but when I created a filter to exclude the unwanted pages, they are still showing up. GA.PNG

GA2.PNG

The second screenshot is how I have one of my exclusions set up. Any suggestions as to the changes I can make to exclude the unwanted pages on my reports would be great!

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
If its page urls that are being filtered, then the Filter Field should be Request URI not Page Title
also I would try home|open_championships as the filter pattern  which means exclude urls with home "or" open_championships . a | pipe character represents or
atm the filter is looking for the whole string home, open championships which doesnt appear in any urls in the given example

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! If I was looking to "include" only pages that contained "webapps." in the URL, how would I insert that into the field for it to register correctly? Thanks for all of your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I figure that by marking in the filter that I only want URL's with "webapps" in them, that it will in turn exclude all of the other, unwanted pages from the report? Am I on the right track here and if so, how would I define that in the filter field with the right terminology?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Sorry had a typo in my previous reply which i fixed.
Custom Include Filter
Filter Field  Request URI

Filter Pattern webapps 

**Note. pls follow best practices and do not apply the filter to the Property's default View..All Website Data.
It should remain without any filters applied to it. This helps protect against data loss from incorrectly configured filters

and ensures there is alway s a completely unedited raw copy of data should it be needed for reporting purposes.

If not already done so, create a View just for testing. and apply it to that so taht you can see how it affects your data before applying it to one of your other main reporting Views.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! As far as reading the reports go, should I expect the old data to still appear on the report after I've added the appropriate filter? 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Filters are not retroactive, they only affect data going forward from the time they are applied.
So any old data within a report will not be affected.

Be sure to test it first though so you can see what/how exactly a pageview report will be affected by it.. 

the filter verifications are only a guide and not always accurate.