Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Internal Traffic with Multiple IP Addresses

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to set up a filter to exclude 4 IP addresses from my site. Do I need to create 4 separate exclude filters or and I list the IP addresses, if so what is the proper way of separating them? 

Thank you. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason B
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No space, also i usually add a backslash before the . in each IP address eg 1\.99\.251 (i cant remember if the backslashes are necessary as I do it out of habit with all regular expressions when the . is meant to be interpreted just as a . and not have any special meaning)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You could do it a variety of ways.. 
You could do 4 seperate exclude filters, one for each IP address
you could do a custom exclude filter and seperate the IP addresses with a | pipe character which means "or"
Do the IP addresses have anything in common regarding their range, if so then you may be able to combine them using a regular expression 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply. With using the | pipe character do you use a space between it and the IP address? ie: 1.99.251 | 1.10.590? Or no space, 1.99.251|1.10.590? 

The IP addresses don't have anything in common with the range. I like the idea of being able to keep them all grouped as one exclude for ease of organization within my filters. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason B
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No space, also i usually add a backslash before the . in each IP address eg 1\.99\.251 (i cant remember if the backslashes are necessary as I do it out of habit with all regular expressions when the . is meant to be interpreted just as a . and not have any special meaning)