Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Internal IP traffic--how to know if it's working? Is it historical?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! I am looking at excluding our internal network traffic for our Google Analytics. I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to "verify" that a filter like this is working?
  2. When filtering is in place, is it historic/retroactive, or does it just apply from that moment forward?
  3. Any other pointers when it comes to filtering internal traffic? I have seen a number of topics on this subject, so maybe there is some good common knowledge or general pointers.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Travis W
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Travis,

Here are some comments to your questions:

1. once your internal traffic filter is in place, you could go to the GA view where the filter is applied, go into Real Time reporting, visit your site, and then see if your hit shows up. You may need to use a test query parameter in the URL as well so you know it is you visiting your own site (of course if you don't see it in the Behaviour reports, then likely your filter is working).

2. filters are applied moving forward only. They do not alter historical data. So best to always have an unfiltered view, and then apply your filter to a test view first. No other real best practices really. You could try this site, too: 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en

Some people block GA completely on internal networks using plugins and stuff, but to me IP filters work just as well.

Hope this helps

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Travis!

We would like to help by agreeing with the great answer that Nicky posted.

Great answer Nicky! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! This is very helpful. I have set up different views now, one with the filter applied and one without. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Glad you found what you were looking for and great job keeping a view with no filters applied to it. We typically setup accounts with a three views;

1. default view: no filters applied, collects everything, goals applied

2. main reporting view: filters applied, goals applied

3. testing view: Used for testing any new filters, new goals, and anything else when needed before applying it to the main "reporting view". This helps to us to keep the data in the main "reporting view" as accurate as possible overtime and keep anything weird out of it that we either have to remember/note, and or explain to clients every time they see it.. example: oh that spike in..., in March was just a test. Every Time they (or someone else in the company) sees it they may ask you about it again.. yes that was... Best just to avoid any anomalies when possible.

Have a great Monday!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi~ Nicky, can I ask some the other question?

According to your replied, I went into my GA Real Time reporting, visited my site, and then sadly saw my hit was show up Smiley Sad

I'm pretty sure my IP number is the correct one which I set into my filter, but it seems not to work Smiley Sad

Is there any other ways can check or correct it?

Thank you very much for your great help in advance.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi, Kaya HUANG Y,

Are you using the public facing IP? If you go to www.whatismyip.com, for example, then that should be the IP you are using to filter out your own traffic.

Hope this helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Nicky,

Thank for your kindly answer.

The IP number I got from the link is the one which I use in my filter now Smiley Sad

I think I should find other ways to solve it, thanks for your helpSmiley Happy