AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Internal IP Traffic -Filter not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, A few years ago I created a filter to exclude time I spent on my website from being recorded.  It is possible that during that time I may replaced my router.  I have found that my time was reflected in the analysis so I deleted the filters after some research and attempted to do different combinations using Predefined and Custom with Computer and Router IP addresses.  I know that it takes time for a filter to become active.  Can you suggest specifically what I can use as settings for a filter as my trial setups with filters have not halted the recording of my visits to the site.  Thanks for your help.  MarshaE

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding Internal IP Traffic -Filter not working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Marsha,

Are you confident that you have a static (unchanging IP)? Most devices/people have dynamic IPs (that are assigned when connecting to the network).

If you do have a static IP then creating an IP address filter (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en) would exclude your visits to your site moving forward. Unfortunately, filters do not apply retroactively (i.e. your visits would still show in historical reports)

Hope this helps!
JD

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Marsha :-)
Usually it would be the external/public IP address that is used for a filter
If you type What is my IP into google search, it should return your public ip address.
You should then be able to put this into a predefined filter
Exclude > Traffic from the IP addresses > That are equal to
with your IP address placed into the provided field.

Changes to filters etc can sometimes take up to 2hrs to reflect in the real time tracking
Filters will also not remove historical data
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for answering. I am not sure about static IP - I'll try to look into that. Marsha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brownwyn, Thanks so much for your reply. I will try it again and give it a little more time. Thanks for reinforcing which IP address to use. I'll get back to you to accept if it works in a few hours.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi again Bronwyn,
I have redone the filter as you describe, waited overnight even before checking but I still see my visits being recorded. Do you have any other ideas?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Does your GA tracking code setup on your website use IP anonymization?
Are you able to provide the url of your website so i can take a quick look via browser?

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will ask SmugMug about anonymization. The URL is:
www.etchedimages.ca
Thanks for looking into this.
Marsha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Bronwyn, The SmugMug representative I received a response from was not aware of IP anonymization. They have a link with Stat Counter so I imagine they would not be using an anonymization. Thanks, Marsha

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Marsha :-)
are you able to confirm that your IP address is static and does not change when you are connecting to the internet as mentioned by Jennifer?
If your IP changes on a regular basis then filters may not be helpful to you.

Also are you able to confirm that UA-57831100-1 is the Tracking ID for your GA Property.

Are you able to possibly provide a screenshot of the filter you have created in GA
and of your public IP from Google Search

Alternatively what you can do is install the GA opt out via your browser
https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout