AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Internal IP Address (using "begin with...")

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

So I took the Filtering course and I did research online, but I can't seem to figure out if I should use "equal to" or "begin with" my company's network IP address. The CTO told me: "The whole office's IP address is 61.92.29.111"

But does that mean each device's IP address is that above IP address + a few numbers in the end? E.g. Computer 1 is 61.92.29.111.1, Computer 2 is 61.92.29.111.2? So in that case I should use "begin with"

OR am I completely understanding this wrong? And that the original 61.92.29.111 IP address is just the public IP address for the office router/network and therefore should be "equal to"?

Thank you all so much! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeffrey S
April 2016

Re: Excluding Internal IP Address (using "begin with...")

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Yes, just use the "equal to"

See the example at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en under "Exclude a single IP address"

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You've been given the external IP address, so yes - you need to block just that IP.

In addition, if you perform the Google search "What is my IP Address" and see something like:

2XXX:30X:378a:d510:a5aa:7a2f:a98a:XXXX
Your public IP address

...you should block your office's IPv6 IP address as well on a second filter. IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP! Always leave a "Raw" view in case a filter misbehaves. Filter other views as appropriate.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phillip,

Thank you so much for replying. Just to confirm, I shouldn't use a "begin with" filter and simply use the "equal to" filter for 61.92.29.111? (It's some example numbers I came up with)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeffrey S
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Yes, just use the "equal to"

See the example at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en under "Exclude a single IP address"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Phillip, appreciate the help!