Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude traffic for visitors of a particular page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Is there a way to use advanced segments to exclude all the traffic generated from users that visited one specific page?

I mean that visiting the page "x.html" (for example log in page) all the traffic generated before and after visiting that page from users will be excluded using a segment. It could be a way to exclude the traffic generated by customers for a website with the front end and the tool section in the same domain.

Thanks,

Federico

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Federico O
August 2016

Re: Exclude traffic for visitors of a particular page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Create a new segment and go to Conditions, then choose if the filter should be based on Sessions (for the duration of the session) or Users (across multiple sessions), then if the filter is an Include or Exclude filter.

Choose Page, then the operator (contains or exactly matches, see what best fits your needs), then put the page value in the box.

You should be good to go.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Federico,

i think i answered to this question, do you need more explanations?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Federisco,

i have clarified in the screenshot. keep everything same and in the empty field enter the page url you want to exclude. http://take.ms/gwXse

if you find this helpful let me know by giving a star Smiley Happy

cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi R,

Thanks a lot.

You have confirmed what I did. have you idea why the same segment set for inclusion or exclusion works so differently?

I mean, if I set two segments:

1. Conditions -> Users ->Exclude -> Page CONTAINS "/app"

2. Conditions -> Users ->Include -> Page DOES NOT CONTAINS "/app"

I obtain completely different numbers, for example bounce rate for segment 1 is 75% for segment 2 is 25%.

I can't understand why, They seem the same to me. And this made me feel insecure about the segment I set at first.

Thanks in advance R.

Federico

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
1. Conditions -> Users ->Exclude -> Page CONTAINS "/app"
If you go to the All Pages report you will not see any instance of /app in the table.

2. Conditions -> Users ->Include -> Page DOES NOT CONTAINS "/app"
If you go to the All Pages report you still will see instances of /app in the table.

Bottom line
The Exclude condition will exclude all and any instances of /app while the Include condition will exclude only instances where /app was the only page seen, that is, users who saw /app and /web will be included.

Let me know if it makes sense.